Downed power lines sparked a brush fire in Campville yesterday that spread to a house. The fire was reported just after 4pm in the 5000 block of Route 17C. Officials at the scene say they don’t believe anyone was living in the house. The Campville Fire Department received aid from Apalachin, West Corners, Owego, and South Side at the scene. No injuries were reported.
Hundreds of people paid their final respects to Tioga County Fire Coordinator John Scott this morning. The 71-year-old was laid to rest in Calvary Cemetery in Johnson City, after a funeral mass at Our Lady of Good Counsel Church in Endicott. Scores of fire and other emergency vehicles joined today’s procession from the church, including many vehicles from the Campville Fire Department, where Scott was a 45-year member and former chief. Pictures and video from today’s procession can be seen on the WEBO Facebook page. Scott had been the county’s fire coordinator since 1999. He is survived by his wife, Karen, and daughter, Denise. Scott was also a member of multiple state firefighting related boards and committees. Outside of the fire service, Scott worked for General Electric in Utica before moving to Endicott and becoming a manager at IBM and Lockheed-Martin. He was also a former president of the Owego Kiwanis Club.
Funeral arrangements have been announced for Tioga County Fire Coordinator John Scott. Calling hours will be held from 2-6pm Sunday at Our Lady of Good Counsel Church at 701 West Main Street in Endicott. A funeral service will then be held at 10:30am Monday at the church with a funeral procession to follow leading to a burial service at Calvary Cemetery on Harry L. Drive in Johnson City. Arrangements are being handled by Coleman and Daniels Funeral Home in Endicott. John Scott was 71 years old and a lifetime member of the Campville Fire Department, where he was a past chief. He leaves behind his wife, Karen, daughter, Denise, and is predeceased by his son, John, Jr. Scott had been the county’s fire coordinator since 1999.
Several Tioga County Fire Departments responded to a house fire in downtown Owego yesterday afternoon. The initial 911 call for a working structure fire at 107 Liberty Street in Owego came in to first responders at around 1pm. Shortly after arriving on scene, the Owego Fire Department requested manpower and resources from the Apalachin, Campville, and Tioga Center Fire Departments. An official cause of the fire has not been made public by fire investigators.
A 34-year-old Campville woman died in a motorcycle crash last night. She was riding on a motorcycle being operated by her husband when they struck a deer. The crash happened on Route 17C in front of Lockheed Martin at around 9pm. Both patients were transported to Robert Packer Hospital by Campville Ambulance. The husband sustained minor injuries. Guthrie Air assisted medical care at the scene, and en route to the hospital. The investigation is being handled by the New York State Police. The woman’s name is being withheld, pending notification of family members.
An individual has been taken to the hospital for life threatening injuries following a rollover accident in Campville. The accident occurred just after 3PM on Day Hollow Road yesterday, when the driver of a vehicle swerved off of the road. Authorities have not commented on a potential cause of the accident. No new updates have been provided on the driver’s condition.
The Tioga County Sheriff’s Office is investigating multiple break-ins of vehicles in the town of Owego. In a news release issued yesterday, deputies said the break-ins happened on East Campville Road. The sheriff’s office released surveillance footage of the suspect breaking into a vehicle at approximately 1 a.m. June 23rd. If you have any information, contact the Tioga County Sheriff’s office at 607-687-1010.
Crews responded to a fire at an old farmhouse in Tioga County yesterday morning. Companies were called to 2435 Waits Road in the Town of Owego just before 11 a.m.
Firefighters said the house is undergoing renovations. No one is living in the home and no one was there at the time the fire started. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames quickly, but had to deal with stubborn hot spots that crept up inside the walls of the home. Officials said the age and structure of the home allowed the fire to spread quickly. The Southside Fire Company responded, along with crews from the Owego and Campville Fire Departments. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction in the basement.