The Owego Apalachin school district will be open for school – regular hours – for students in THREE of the district’s FOUR buildings.
Those school buildings that will be in session for students Wednesday (September 14) are:
* Owego Free Academy
* Owego Apalachin Middle School
* Apalachin Elementary School
Unfortunately, given the severe flood damage at Owego Elementary School, students currently enrolled there will NOT attend school Wednesday as the district continues to work to relocate those classrooms and school facilities.
You may have read in a Sunday night DATELINE item from Dr. Russell that the district received several offers of help from neighboring school districts and churches as OA struggled to decide where to relocate nearly 600 elementary students (pre-K through 5), and 95 staff members.
The best came from Union-Endicott, said Dr. Russell, which offered to let us use their recently-closed Linnaeus West Elementary School (LW) on Route 26 near Day Hollow Road in Union.
After inspecting that facility, and seeing that it would provide a “turn-key” solution for OA, the district accepted the U-E offer. It is not large enough to house all of our OES students and staff, however, so OA is in the process of making the following relocations for the coming months.
* UPK classes and staff from OES will move to Abide-in-the-Vine’s classrooms in the former Washington-Gladden school.
* Grades K-4 students and staff will be relocated to the West Elementary School in Union.
* Fifth-graders and their teachers and support staff will be integrated into classrooms in the OA middle school.
As soon as Linnaeus West Elementary School is ready to welcome our students, we will announce that development through a DATELINE e-mail, on the district’s Web site, and through our local media outlets.
Popularity: 4% [?]